Friday, January 17, 2014

Caramel Crusted Rhubarb Pudding


Wondering what to do with all the rhubarb, this is a wonderful crunchy dessert option. So good with custard or cream or dusted with icing sugar.


As a child I detested rhubarb yet I’m not really sure if I ever tried it. I think it's likely to my mothers horror, I declared I didn’t like it, without even tasting it. As an adult I discovered it tasted like berries, apple and lemon all rolled in to one and now I love it, in fact I may spend my adult life trying to catch up with all I never ate as a child. This dessert is equally lovely in summer & winter. My rhubarb variety (above) is more green than the the red you might be used to seeing, however the taste is the same.

Recipe is reprinted with permission from our friends at Chelsea Sugar. (Photo above from Chelsea)

Ingredients
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup Chelsea white sugar
100g butter melted
4 cups diced rhubarb stalks
3/4 cup Chelsea soft brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornflour
1/4 cup boiling water


Method
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add rolled oats and White sugar, then mix in melted butter to make crust mixture. Put diced rhubarb into a greased ovenproof dish, such as a small lasagne dish or deep pie plate. Sprinkle crust mixture evenly over rhubarb. In the discarded bowl, combine Brown sugar and cornflour. Spoon over the crust mixture. Carefully pour the boiling water over the top. Do not stir. 

Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...